Friday, August 10, 2012

earning my stripes

It's been a restless day today. In the studio there's a need to start a new painting but I'm too impatient to make up the oil palette.  Instead I trust to a spontaneous dance with some acrylic paint and charcoal to find the "happy accidents" in mark making.

The initial idea is a digital collage but in recreating the idea as a painting anything can happen and usually does.  When not in the mindset to concentrate on every little thing I find that reacting to shapes and values can be very satisfying.  I don't know if it will always work out but I love to try.  For trying something I don't know teaches me what I need to know.

So, today's offering is an original 24"x48" acrylic and charcoal on canvas, "Earning my stripes".

This collage is one of 3 ideas for images of humans with animal heads.  I've always identified with the symbolism of the tiger, especially the white tiger, an anomalie in nature.  Tigers are noted to stand for courage, a theme I've always treasured.

When I lived in San Francisco years ago and worked for an arts and entertainment magazine there was an article about our local zoo having two white tigers, brother and sister.

The female was sent away to another zoo and the brother pined for her and was never mated.  I remember visiting the zoo and seeing the forelorn tiger pacing 'round his cell.  He was so beautiful, so foreign and so lonely.

This memory resonates in me that you have to be courageous enough to withstand what life gives you even when you have no control over the situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment