Monday, July 9, 2012

Time and Tide

"Time and Tide wait for no man",  a quote my gran used to use on occasion.  It seemed a fitting title to my newest painting.  A painting that I have catharted over this past week, making little changes to it, fussing it perhaps more than I should.  I must force myself to leave it alone for a bit.

This is the trap of painting.  You can invent whatever kind of world you'd like.  The image takes on a life of its own in feeling.  A brush stroke, a mark made, can change everything.  So, it is hard to know when a painting is finished!

In this instance I wanted to paint a sunset sky in all it's drama only to find that it didn't hold enough interest for me.  I always think about what other things can be added.  I don't have a preconceived idea of  a meaning for the collected images in a composition.  Sometimes the images selected serve to solve a composition problem.  Only later do I realise that subconsciously I chose things that have some sort of meaning.  I suppose it's rather like dissecting a dream. 

In that case I like the idea of making a "waking dream" of a picture.  I want them to be messier than they currently seem to me.  Not so crafted.  It speaks to my limitations as a painter.  I cannot make what I see in my head in the same way I see it.  It comes out as it will only to the strenght and knowledge that I have now to make it.


I cannot surmise that we all want for the same things in life, but in painting I am striving for the illusion of what I want to see or feel, that sense of abandon or freedom.  To be unshackled and free to wander and view the wonder of creation that I am intrinsically linked to.

No comments:

Post a Comment