Tuesday, December 13, 2011

risk

I just came in from the studio after having taken a BIG RISK!
Normally when I'm painting I'm making marks to show what is in my head.  I get so involved with mark making that it almost seems as if I've climbed inside the painting.  Then, when I step back I'm surprised sometimes at how deliberate my marks seem.  It is then that I start painting in a different way, reacting to putting paint on canvas with a bit more dash and looseness.  It is this looseness and not being afraid to make things ugly that excites me.

It is an evolutionary thing I'm thinking; learning how to paint without worrying about messing up.  Its rather liberating actually.

Today's risk was to take a painting that has some really strong meaning and add marks made by using a squeeze bottle of paint thinned with gels.  I used the bottle like scribbling with a pencil.  I left the studio with the freshly made marks with the canvas turned upside down to see how, by morning the drips will affect the painting.  I came out of the studio not worried about how it may or may not wreck all the work I've done thus far, because it was fun and experimental. It will either work or not? 

 I would show you this painting but must wait until the weekend as it is part of an art group "challenge" painting.  At our meeting this Friday we all will unveil our paintings on the theme of "redemption."  After, I certainly will post the picture.  I'm curious to see how others will react.

So whether or not the risk I took today on this painting works or not, I do like the idea that I can trust to try new things to not become stale as a painter but to also learn the lesson of not being too deliberate in the painting strokes I make.  Play yields a better result than work!

No comments:

Post a Comment