Sunday, September 4, 2011

and then . . .

The brain is firing on all cylinders.  The body is acting within normal limits, give or take and the world has opened up with work and opportunities.  What more could I want?  Well, lots, but that's another or story.  Or is it?  It is my story, of wanting more, but these days, after months of "limbo" I'm beginning to know what road I'm on and where I'm going and it feels wonderful.

Mostly because of work.  I define myself by the work, the art I make.  It is a pleasure to be able to work in someone's home again and paint murals even if its only half days for the minute.  More especially I'm spinning pleasantly in place in my own studio working on new ideas.  Recent sales at a few gallery venues have fueled some new techniques that beg for more "making"!

I'm interested in how to put more "freedom" in my work and not rely so much on rendering imagery verbatim from references.  I've taken to splashing about a bit more and I like the accidental marks that makes.  I also like the idea of drawing over painting.  It's still in a working gestation in my brain but I will soon try this new  idea of drawing with "puffy paint" over a painted field.  I like the idea of the drawn line as relief and the "puffy paint" gives me that.

But before I get ahead of myself, the latest, most exciting piece that I've started has to do with making a drawing that becomes a painting.  In other words, part of the painting is left a drawing while the rest is painted in.  I like the delicacy of the image which lends perfectly to the theme of dreaming!  This piece is still unfinished but here it is in process.

I drew this image before cancer.  I think its about the idea of strength, like a stand of trees standing strong for centuries.  We take this strength and constancy for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment